Creative MP3+

Richard Hughes richard at hughsie.com
Wed Feb 9 09:59:31 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 11:04 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:17 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > We need to be able to subscribe to events if sound cards are appearing
> > or disappearing on the system. This information is only available as
> > hotplug events, if you don't want to poll for it.
> > So at least minimal support with classification that the actual hardware
> > is a sound card is needed in HAL.

Sounds good to me. With 2 soundcards, I want to default to the USB one,
as soon as it's plugged in, not when i drop to root and run system-
config-soundcard with all it's UI goodness.

> Right, for Fedora we're also thinking of using such events (via
> callouts) to enforce policy, using pam_console, instead of the
> dreadful /etc/security/console.perms file that relies on the name of the
> device node. Much like the policy properties we have for determining
> whether something should be added to the /etc/fstab file etc.

This sounds fantastic. Bringing Linux into the modern age!

Are you pending a CVS commit for soundcards or do you want us to submit
patches?

On that note, could you just mail the updated ChangeLog to this list,
whenever you do a big commit, then we can see what you've committed
without doing a:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/hal co hal
type thing? Or am I missing a cunning trick?

Richard.

--
http://www.hughsie.com/PUBLIC-KEY