[patch] Port to DBUS 0.30

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Feb 19 13:07:53 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 20:44 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:27:50 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>> Slightly off topic, however, if people are running Fedora Rawhide, you
>> can pull D-BUS 0.30.cvs20050211 RPMS from here
>>  http://people.redhat.com/johnp/redhat/experimental/utopia/SRPMS/
>>  http://people.redhat.com/johnp/redhat/experimental/utopia/i386/
>
>When are all of these being pushed to rawhide? I can't test HAL at the
>moment, and when I try these rpms I get lots of failed dependencies, and
>thus can't install.

You can do a --force or --nodeps (can't remember which) but note that
your system will be slightly broken; if you do this you definitely want
to rebuild at least gnome-vfs2 without --enable-hal from the src.rpm if
you're using any of the GNOME stuff.

You also want to remove the existing hal packages with --force or
--nodeps and remember to 'make install' from your local hal tree. That's
what I do - EWORKSFORME :-)

>I was of the understanding that D-BUS 0.30 would be in FC4, so needs to be
>pulled in at some stage anyway.

It will get pushed sometime next week (when the tree opens after
FC4test1). I need to do a 0.5.0 release and someone needs to release
D-BUS 0.31; there's also a number of packages that needs minor patching
to get this to work (for both D-BUS and HAL changes), so it's taking a
bit longer than expected.

It's a bit unfortunate that D-BUS changes API so drastically, but on the
other hand it also gives us an opportunity to fix a few minor issues
with the HAL API on that account (very small changes though). At some
point all this will stabilize though :-)

David