HAL doesn't recognize my disks

Davide Ferrari vide80 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 15:48:35 PST 2005

(moderator, please delete the previous message, I did an error)

Hello everyone

I'm very new to HAL and normally I tend to RTFM before asking but I have found
quite no exaustive HAL docs, neither on hal website nor in /usr/share/doc/hal
and I have no idea where to start to resolve my problem.

The problem is simple: HAL doesn't recognize my disks (HD and CD/DVD), while
it recognizes and perfectly works with my USB stick. I'm currently using HAL
0.4.7 on a 2.6.10 Gentoo kernel, with the new KDE 3.4_beta2

Here is some consolle output

shadow root # lshal |grep hd
lshal version 0.4.7

and with USB stick plugged in:

shadow root # lshal |grep sd
lshal version 0.4.7
  volume.partition.msdos_part_table_type = 6  (0x6)  (int)
  block.device = '/dev/sda1'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/sda/sda1'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sda/sda1'  (string)
  block.device = '/dev/sda'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/sda'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sda'  (string)

I can't install hal-device-manager cause it brings half Gnome up and I really
don't want...but I'm open to every kind of suggestion, things to look in,
configurations to check and whatever. I'm using pretty standard Gentoo HAL
config, which seems to work for thousand of other people...so the problem
it's in my system.

Thanks in advance

--
Davide Ferrari