Hypothetical HAL enabled programs

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 12:19:28 PST 2005

I'll give you the situation. I have a laptop with a internal Intel
soundcard that I use 20% of the time when I'm on the move. When I'm at
home, and I play music I use my external MP3+ soundcard so I can use the
48KHz optical link to my amp.

Currently, on Fedora, I used to run system-config-soundcard, enter my root
password, and select the new default for gstreamer. Hassle.

As a bodge, I made /etc/asound.conf world writable and wrote a script to
just echo:
pcm.!default { type hw card x }
ctl.!default { type hw card x }
into that conf file. Which works nicely, but isn't very user friendly.

If I wrote an applet that picked up the available soundcards from HAL,
picked the preferred one each time (but let me change it manually)
and write the new file. But, where would I put it?

Would HAL CVS be the best place (so as like the kernel it can track API
changes, DBUS changes etc..) as part of hal-gnome or as a separate project?

I'm sure there will be lots of other HAL based mini-projects, anyone got
any more ideas?

Richard.

--

http://www.hughsie.com/PUBLIC-KEY