Hypothetical HAL enabled programs

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Feb 23 12:48:14 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 20:19 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I'll give you the situation. I have a laptop with a internal Intel
> soundcard that I use 20% of the time when I'm on the move. When I'm at
> home, and I play music I use my external MP3+ soundcard so I can use the
> 48KHz optical link to my amp.
>
> Currently, on Fedora, I used to run system-config-soundcard, enter my root
> password, and select the new default for gstreamer. Hassle.
>
> As a bodge, I made /etc/asound.conf world writable and wrote a script to
> just echo:
> pcm.!default { type hw card x }
> ctl.!default { type hw card x }
> into that conf file. Which works nicely, but isn't very user friendly.
>
> If I wrote an applet that picked up the available soundcards from HAL,
> picked the preferred one each time (but let me change it manually)
> and write the new file. But, where would I put it?
>
> Would HAL CVS be the best place (so as like the kernel it can track API
> changes, DBUS changes etc..) as part of hal-gnome or as a separate project?
>
> I'm sure there will be lots of other HAL based mini-projects, anyone got
> any more ideas?
>
> Richard.

Might be nice to have a hal hacks page off the wiki that contained
little things like this that people might want to test but isn't right
for inclusion within HAL proper.  If something become useful it can spin
off into its own project (ala gnome-volume-manager, NetworkManager,
etc.)  Stuff like this should eventually end up as a separate project
but it would be nice for people to write quick hacks (some as small as a
simple callout script) as proof of concepts and be able to submit them
without having to go through the trouble of starting a new project.
Like I said if it is useful it will eventually be spun off.  As far as
putting this stuff into HAL I don't think it belongs there because by
the nature of things, this stuff tends to be audience/distro/widget set
specific so should be part of its own project.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer