heads up for changes

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Feb 24 09:40:47 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:37:43PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it was earlier discussed how to handle the various uses of
> device information files (information vs. system-policy vs. user-policy)
> - this is one thing I said I would change later on; some of the changes
> are outlined in this file I've just committed
>
>  http://cvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/fdi/README?rev=1.1

So, you can catogorize the fdi's by two things.
  * The function they have {preprobing,information,policy}
  * How's responsible form them {Hal package/tarball, 3rd party, user/admin}

And then you determin the filesystem location by function, which is a little
odd to me.

Normally the place is determined by whom is responsible for them. So for files
the admin usage one uses /etc, the package itself users /usr/{local}/share and
also /usr/local/share for software that's installed localled outside the normal
package system.

So i would suggest the following structure:

  For files coming with hal or other distribution package:
    /usr/share/hal/fdi/{preprobing,information,policy}/*

  For user configuration:
    /etc/hal/fdi/{preprobing,information,policy}/*

  And optionally for locally installed packages:
    /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/{preprobing,information,policy}/*

In debian we currently already patch hal 0.4 to also get fdi files from
/etc/hal/fdi otherwise we would be violationg policy.

Potentially there is a need for an extra location for generated/updateble fdi
files, which should be somewhere under /var/lib. But i don't see a use for that
currently.

  Sjoerd
--
Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.