Project Utopia : HAL & PowerManagement

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 01:27:49 PST 2005

Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham <at> cyclades.com> writes:
> Looks good. Are you guys aware of
> http://lists.osdl.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-pm? We have a discussion
> going on at the moment related to in-kernel run-time PM. I'm sure
> interaction with you would be valuable. (Although I might be a little
> biased - I think using a userspace policy manager sounds like a good
> idea!).

Nigel,

I think linux-pm is complimentary to the idea of HAL managing say a global
"Shutdown" or "Suspend". The linux-pm list seems to be focussed on the kernel
internals on how to achieve the different power management states, rather than
userspace policy.
I don't think we are treading on anybodies toes, but if you think we are,
then please say, and I'll try to contact other people.

I read an interesting post
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=debian-devel&m=109320445714934&w=2 about how
debian wants to solve the mess that is userspace control - except the thread
seemed to go nowhere, and I think the idea fizzled out.

I'll write an email to the linux-pm guys explaining what we have done, and
we'll hopefully get some good feedback.

Ohh and respect for the kernel powermanagement work you guys do. Getting your
changes into so many bits of the kernel must be a daunting task.

Thanks,

Richard