hal doesn't recognize mounting of devices

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Oct 24 04:25:36 PDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 11:23, Schupp Roderich (extern) BenQ MD PD SWP 2 CM
MCH wrote:
> I'm seeing the same effect here, hal always report is_mounted = FALSE.
> I started hald with --verbose=yes and strace'd it:
> the mount@/block/sdb/sdb1 event gets properly delivered,
> hald the proceeds to read /proc/mounts, but /dev/sdb1 is _not listed
> there_. When I later on look at /proc/mounts, /dev/sdb1 is listed.
> Note that this behaviour has also been reported in another post
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2005-October/003518.html
> Looks like a race between the kernel reporting
> the mount via uevent and actually committing it so that it is visible
> in /proc/mounts.

I never seen this or get a bugreport for SUSE, but IMO this is a kernel bug.
The kernel should update /proc/mounts before emit the netlink message. How
long is the delay between the event and change in /proc/mounts?

Btw. We maybe could workaround this with add a short delay befor
open /proc/mounts (but IMO the kernel need a fix.)

Cheers,

Danny