Hard disk power management

Sun Dec 17 03:37:13 PST 2006

On Sunday 17 December 2006 16:47 IST, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I suggested a patch on the mailing list[1] some time ago, but Danny
> pointed out that we wouldn't actually save much power anyway. Is there
> any way you could profile the power you would save using hdparm? If you
> have gnome-power-manager installed you can just watch the discharge rate
> in the profile graph.

I was just looking out for some tool that would help me profile the power
consumption so i would know what's taking all that power. If gnome power
manager does that ill check it out, but i use KDE.

> My gut feeling is that with a modern hard-drive, it seems to save lots
> of power by itself, without using hdparm. I would be interested to be
> proved wrong. :-)

I sure hope so! Battery life is the one thing I'm disappointed with on my
laptop. :-)
--
Cheers!
kitts