Suspend and NetworkManager

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 11 07:07:20 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:53 +0100, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> HAL now contains methods to perform a hibernate or a suspend. GNOME
> power manager uses these methods and probably the gnome-logout screen
> will also call these somewhere in the near future.
>
> Therefore to me it seems more logical that HAL sends a generic "wake"
> and "sleep" signal to which all applications can listen whenever
> somebody calls the HAL methods hibernate or suspend.

You need a way for the applications to delay the suspend; hence they
need to register and ACK/NAK/delay the suspend. It's that simple.

> Scripts that users can call on the command line would just call the HAL
> method to hibernate/suspend.

Users doing such crazy stuff can not expect it to work (and if you want
it to work, provide them with a script that pokes g-p-m)

> If g-p-m would expose this interface then it means that all apps should
> call a hibernate/suspend method of g-p-m, which will send the signal
> "sleep" then call the HAL method hibernate/suspend.

Yes, this is exactly what we need - the logout dialog would use the same
interface.

> This seems just one
> extra layer which is not really necessary.

But it is necessary in order to do this. What's the problem?

    David