hald/linux2/probing/shared.h (drop_privileges)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 16 08:22:41 PST 2006

Hi,

Sorry for the lag,

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 11:23 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Where does drop_privileges belong? Certainly not in
> hald/linux2/probing/shared.h, as I keep getting warnings
> "shared.h:62: warning: ‘drop_privileges’ defined but not used"
>
> What about moving it to hald/util.c ?

No, helpers need it and they are not part of the hald process. Ideally
we'd make a small library just for helpers that contains bits like this.

It might be useful to put that in hald/libhaldhelper so e.g. the Solaris
backend would benefit from it. Artem?

Then again it's not a lot of code but the warnings for helpers not
dropping privileges (because they can't) sure is annoying.

    David