Mount Options.

Daniel W. Cote dwcote at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 18:01:10 PDT 2006

I like what HAL is doing as far as not having to worry about what the
device name is for a USB device. What I don't like is not being allowed
to decide what mount options I can use. The decision should be up to the
Adminstrator. The idea that no one wants to execute programs on a usb
device is wrong. I have 2 USB devices which I bought with the intention
of loading programs on it that I can run on any of my systems. I had to
make changes to the hal-system-storage-mount script to allow me to mount
with the exec option and well as adding exec to the Hal-System-Manager
valid mount options.
The other problem I had was I have a 80Gig USB drive with an ext3 file
system on it. Hal tried to mount it as vfat. I again had to make
overides in the Hal-System-Manager to tell Hal the drive is ext3. This
should be automatic.

I think you need to check with administrators to before making
assumptions. There are reasons for the options available in mount.
Daniel W. Cote                            dwcote at yahoo.com