Card-Reader Problem continued

Christian Haul c.haul at web.de
Tue May 23 12:02:47 PDT 2006

Alan Stern wrote:
> It turns out that the retries _are_ being done by the kernel.  In the SCSI
> disk driver, to be precise.  There's a kernel patch below which should
> reduce the number of attempts from 4 to 2 on each loop.

Alan,
I've applied your patch to 2.6.17-rc4 and it reported no problems. CPU
percentage in "hi" according to "top" indeed decreases, albeit only from
max. 40-something % to 30-something %. There apparently is something in
the driver in combination with the via chip that causes this.

Actually, I haven't found in the "top" documentation nor anywhere else,
what "hi" precisely means. I assume that the CPU is either polling or
forbids interrupts. So, maybe it's a question of locking in the kernel?

But I'm most certainly talking rubbish here since I have not a clue
about the internal workings of the usb driver let alone the kernel.

	Chris.