Remarks on commit related to fuse support

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Oct 23 04:55:03 PDT 2006

On 10/22/06, Logan Rathbone <rathbonel at phoenuxos.com> wrote:
> I'm a  packager for a small new distribution (PhoeNUX OS) which has yet
> to be released.  I'm working on getting  HAL working correctly for us
> right now.
>
> I just have a remark on this commit:
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=commit;h=2ea340399bf8cf3d2bb6bd1b5c4ecbc2042e93d4
>
> Our distro has chosen to use /mnt rather than /media.  We have patched
> the /media hardcodes (in the tools/ mostly) and changed them to /mnt.
> With the patch applied as the commit above, to a pristine 0.5.8.1 HAL,
> my root partition's volume.mount_point gets defined as '' rather than
> '/', which causes confusion for KDE's mediamanager, which we are using
> in the distro.
>
> Obviously for now we are simply not applying the patch, but since it has
> been committed upstream, we want to make sure that HAL will continue to
> work for us in the future.  I am assuming that with the /media hardcodes
> left alone in the source, that things would work fine -- but I'm just
> wondering if anyone here would have any idea why they are not.
>
> Also, it would be nice if /media were not hardcoded in the first place
> -- so that distros like us, and Mandriva, for instance, who choose to
> use /mnt rather than /media, can use HAL without constantly maintaining
> and updating patches.
>
> If anyone could please advise, that would be great.

It is specified by FHS/LSB, which is the reason HAL uses it, and most
distros use it by default.

/mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem
This directory is provided so that the system administrator may
temporarily mount a filesystem as needed. The content of this
directory is a local issue and should not affect the manner in which
any program is run.

/media : Mount point for removeable media
This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points
for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#REQUIREMENTS

Kay