Remarks on commit related to fuse support

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Oct 23 08:44:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure whether it makes a difference that you use /media rather
than /mnt. It looks to me like your initramfs is not doing the right
thing as I've seen this before with some other people on IRC.

It works for me on Fedora:

    # let's look at /proc/mounts
        [davidz at zelda hal]$ cat /proc/mounts
        rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
        /dev/root / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
        /dev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
        /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
        /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
        /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
        /dev/devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
        /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
        none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

        # look at the device file used for "/"
        [davidz at zelda hal]$ ls -l /dev/root
        brw------- 1 root root 8, 3 Oct 23 10:42 /dev/root

        # look at the device file we know that rootfs is on
        [davidz at zelda hal]$ ls -l /dev/sda3
        brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 3 Oct 23 10:43 /dev/sda3

The key here is that the entry for rootfs in /proc/mounts actually
reference an existing device file. And that device file need to have the
same major/minor as the actual partition you have rootfs on.

Care to post the three things above (/proc/mounts, ls -l on rootfs and
the partition you know rootfs is on) and let us know?

     David