Remarks on commit related to fuse support

Logan Rathbone rathbonel at phoenuxos.com
Mon Oct 23 14:20:56 PDT 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure whether it makes a difference that you use /media rather
> than /mnt. It looks to me like your initramfs is not doing the right
> thing as I've seen this before with some other people on IRC.
>
> It works for me on Fedora:
>
>     # let's look at /proc/mounts
>         [davidz at zelda hal]$ cat /proc/mounts
>         rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
>         /dev/root / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
>         /dev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
>         /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
>         /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
>         /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
>         /dev/devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
>         /dev/shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
>         none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
>
>         # look at the device file used for "/"
>         [davidz at zelda hal]$ ls -l /dev/root
>         brw------- 1 root root 8, 3 Oct 23 10:42 /dev/root
>
>         # look at the device file we know that rootfs is on
>         [davidz at zelda hal]$ ls -l /dev/sda3
>         brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 3 Oct 23 10:43 /dev/sda3
>
> The key here is that the entry for rootfs in /proc/mounts actually
> reference an existing device file. And that device file need to have the
> same major/minor as the actual partition you have rootfs on.
>
> Care to post the three things above (/proc/mounts, ls -l on rootfs and
> the partition you know rootfs is on) and let us know?

Thanks for the reply, David.

[logan at localhost filesystems]$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / xfs rw,noatime 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /shared ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0

[logan at localhost filesystems]$ ls -l /dev/root
ls: /dev/root: No such file or directory

[logan at localhost filesystems]$ ls -l /dev/hda2
brw-r-----  1 root disk 3, 2 Oct 23 16:10 /dev/hda2

So alas, I have no /dev/root -- could this be a udev configuration
issue?  Although I do have:

KERNEL=="root",                 GROUP="disk", MODE="0640"

in my udev rules.

I would like to reiterate though, that hda2's volume.mount_point is
currently working fine and defined as '/', but the fuse patch has not
been applied to our udev 0.5.8.1.