troubles with hal and KDE

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Fri Jan 5 14:18:42 PST 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 00:20, Roman Makurin wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> It`s my first post so be patient :). I`ve got dbus-1.0.2, hal-0.5.8.1 and
> kde-3.5.5 installed on Debian testing. halbacked in KDE mounts my usb stick
> with following options:
>
> $ mount
> /dev/sdc1 on /media/USB DISK type vfat
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,shortname=lower)
>
> With these options my filemanager(konqueror or mc) not able to correctly
> display filenames. Therefore I want to add to mount options somthing like
> this "codepage=866,utf8". When I trying to pass mount options in *.fdi file
> codepage.fdi
>
> $ cat /etc/hal/fdi/policy/codepage.fdi
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>   <device>
>     <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer">
>       <merge key="storage.policy.default.mount_option.utf8"
> type="bool">true</merge>
>       <merge key="storage.policy.default.mount_option.codepage=866"
> type="bool">true</merge>
>     </match>
>   </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> It doesn`t affect mount options. I know that is not a new problem, but I
> can`t solve it by myself. Where is my fault ?

It was decided that mount options do not belong to system wide settings.
Unfortunately as of this writing I am not aware of any user agent that would
allow you to set codepage option; not to mention simple fact that KDE volume
manager does not allow you to set defaults valid for any device (not to
mention system wide defaults).

KDE should pass utf8 if your locale is UTF8. If not, there is some bug (it
does it here).

There is a bug report about KVM; I have no idea if and when this will be fixed
(nor whether this even acknowledged as a bug) :(

And no, I do not think this is KDE bug ... but it probably too late to discuss
it now. Personally I use custom kernel with default codepage set to 866.
Obviously this is not a solution for anyone using distribution kernels or
dealing with different character sets.

- -andrey