better ALSA card name

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed Jan 10 07:37:45 PST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 10:56, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> I changed that part of the patch now (using g_strstrip after truncating).
> Also I changed the name of the property to alsa.cardname.
>
> It's still up for discussion where the cardname should go, though. I think
> it should be prepended to the product property in addition to the cardname
> property.
> Since I don't want to show the "ALSA Playback Device" part of the product
> name to the user I will use cardname + device_id (that the user is seeing
> playback devices is a given, and whether it's using ALSA or OSS should be
> an implementation detail).

IMO we should try to get the alsa developer to change the USB alsa audio
driver to export a more descriptive device_id to sysfs. I ask our developer
at SUSE if this is possible.

Btw. I added a other version of the patch which avoid add a new function to
util.c (hal_util_grep_file_next_line) which works for me.

Danny

 1 file changed, 17 insertions(+)