better ALSA card name

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Jan 10 10:48:08 PST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 16:37, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> IMO we should try to get the alsa developer to change the USB alsa audio
> driver to export a more descriptive device_id to sysfs. I ask our developer
> at SUSE if this is possible.

Reading the spec I would expect to get the name of the card from alsa.card_id
and the name of the device from alsa.device_id. The latter does what I
expect, the former returns the textual device name (alias for hw:<card
number>). That's the string in square brackets in /proc/asound/cards. And
that's also what the /proc/asound/card%d/id file is supposed to return.

So if I were to ask anything of the ALSA developers it would be to add another
file to easily get the card name... (because it's not easy to extract out
of /proc/asound/cards)

> Btw. I added a other version of the patch which avoid add a new function to
> util.c (hal_util_grep_file_next_line) which works for me.

This doesn't work (with my old version of hal_util_grep_file, at least): My
USB headset is now identified as "HDA Intel".
my /proc/asound/cards looks like this:
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xde400000 irq 82
 1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
                      C-Media USB Headphone Set   at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2, full
speed

Looking at the card name of card 1 you can see that g_strstrip should be used
after truncating instead of only removing leading whitespace.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de