[RFC] inotify implementation

Sergey Lapin slapinid at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 02:29:02 PST 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 13:01 +0300, Sergey Lapin wrote:
>> As I understand inotify API first appeared in glibc-2.4.
>> As it is well known, many ARM machines still use glibc-2.3.5
>> (probably for good reason), so have no such implementation.
>
> Would ARM machines running 2.3.5 want to be running the latest HAL?
Well, since it is better optimized for embedded devices, yes.

> Also, I think it's safe to just look for sys/inotify.h, as if the user
> has installed that file, but not added support in the kernel then it is
> his fault!
Yeah, but runtime check of init routine would do no harm either, IMHO.

> My personal view is also that we shouldn't support dnotify, just like we
> don't support DBUS < 0.70 or glib 2.6 - i.e. better versions are in
> common usage.
Yeah, but since kernel supports that, and linc doesn't
so it is dilemma - we add routines ourself or pretend as
it doesn't exist. As I show in previous email, it is not too big
amount of code, but I'm curious about if it will be hard to
maintain, and about direct kernel access ugliness so what is bad -
support quite a lot of embedded devices in ugly way (while most of
them have fixed configuration and will probably never change FDI
files, and that's nice but not that important feature for them),
or cleanly refuse to do so.