HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Michael Hanselmann linux-kernel at hansmi.ch
Tue Jan 16 09:49:21 PST 2007

Hello Richard

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:13:47PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Maybe offtopic, but I thought the kernel was going to just send nice
> keycodes rather than userspace routing buttons through HAL?

Yes, that's the way it works. Something like this:

Input device -> Kernel (input.c) -> Kernel (evdev.c) ->
    inputd (userland) -> Kernel (uinput.c) -> Kernel (evdev.c) ->
        User application, X, HAL, whatever

From what I understand from Johannes, HAL doesn't grab or detect input
event devices (/dev/input/event*) correctly. But as I wrote, I've no
idea what HAL actually does there. Maybe he can comment on this.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/