HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Tue Jan 16 09:54:00 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 18:49 +0100, Michael Hanselmann wrote:

> From what I understand from Johannes, HAL doesn't grab or detect input
> event devices (/dev/input/event*) correctly. But as I wrote, I've no
> idea what HAL actually does there. Maybe he can comment on this.

hal will, for example, listen to the brightness buttons and send button
events across the system bus. When inputd comes in, that (and along with
it g-p-m) stops working.

Additionally, we currently have a FN mode flag inside the kernel which
could be moved to inputd, which means that inputd output needs to be
handled by hal.

johannes