HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 10:21:56 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 19:08 +0100, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
> The interaction between inputd and the kernel is either correct or I'll
> fix it. If HAL breaks, that's not my area. Since Johannes already yelled
> at me, I volunteered to write this e-mail.

That's not the way it works. If you break HAL you make a lot of people
upset. You can't just tell people to stop hald to run inputd.

> > Btw. Can you tell more about the sysfs structure for the related uinput
> > devices and …
>
> There's nothing special about these input devices. For userspace, they
> look like any other input device.
>
> > … also about the problem you have with HAL?
>
> I've absolutely none, because I don't use HAL and don't intend to.
> Johannes tells me it "stops to work", whatever that means.

You don't use HAL? I hate to say that 99.9% of desktop Linux users do,
and in my opinion unless you make your application work alongside HAL
it's not going to get off the ground.

Richard.