HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Michael Hanselmann linux-kernel at hansmi.ch
Tue Jan 16 10:08:21 PST 2007

Hello Danny

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:43:00PM +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> I havn't take a look at inputd, but since HAL is on every distribution and
> inputd on none of the major distributions (if I see this correct and
> rpmseek.com tell the truth ...) it's maybe the wrong attitude to say you see
> no obligation to fix this.

Gentoo portage has it since last autumn and I'm in contact with a Debian
developer. Someone has to start somewhere, otherwise it won't get picked
up.

The interaction between inputd and the kernel is either correct or I'll
fix it. If HAL breaks, that's not my area. Since Johannes already yelled
at me, I volunteered to write this e-mail.

> Btw. Can you tell more about the sysfs structure for the related uinput
> devices and …

There's nothing special about these input devices. For userspace, they
look like any other input device.

> … also about the problem you have with HAL?

I've absolutely none, because I don't use HAL and don't intend to.
Johannes tells me it "stops to work", whatever that means.

> Is there a special reason why HAL should grab these devices (If I see
> this correc HAL currently only handle some special keyevents as e.g.
> ACPI suspend/hibnernate) and what HAL should do with them?

Well, depends on the internals of HAL. Maybe it shouldn't grab them, but
at least use the ones created by inputd/uinput because the original ones
are grabbed by inputd and won't get any events until being ungrabbed
(which happens when unplugging a mouse, for example, or exiting inputd).

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/