HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Michael Hanselmann linux-kernel at hansmi.ch
Tue Jan 16 10:34:22 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:29:39PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Have you ever programmed on embedded ARM where context switches are very
> expensive? I think your statements above are dangerous assumptions to
> make.

I programmed on Atmel µC's, but that's not really comparable to ARMs.
I'm not saying it's the best solution. I'm saying it's a acceptable
compromise between usability, flexibility and user friendlyness.
Especially on most of today's desktop computers and laptops.

> > Won't work for people not using X. gpm works with inputd, but wouldn't
> > with that way.

> How does inputd get it's keyboard input without being run in X?

Look for /dev/input/event*, grab each new device, create equal uinput
device (which is then used by X or whatever), forward events from the
former to the latter with configured modifications applied. Basically.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/