Extra battery properties

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 06:45:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 15:40 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> 2007/7/3, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> > Guys,
> >
> > For the OLPC battery, we can extract more properties from the battery.
> > Which of these make sense to expose in HAL? None is a valid answer :-)
> >
> > battery.temperature
> > battery.is_dead
> > battery.is_overheat
> >
> > Comments please,
>
> UPSes (through NUT - Network UPS Tools) also exposes these:
> - battery.temperature => battery.temperature
> - battery.is_dead => ups.status contains RB (Replace Battery)

this should be part of the battery.* namespace - it's to do with the
cell, not the UPS hardware, right?

Also, having string values with attributes is a bad thing as it forces
userspace to parse the data. It's better imo to expose boolean values
that can be trivially parsed.

> - battery.is_overheat => nothing standardized
>
> NUT also exposes various other temperature (depending upon the exact device):
> - ups.temperature

I think we need a capability termperature_sensor now.

Richard.