[hal-info] Dell laptops control brightness in hardware

Rui Tiago Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 11:37:23 PST 2007

On 14/11/2007, Martin Pitt <martin at piware.de> wrote:
> recently, our power management and laptop expert Matthew Garrett
> changed the "brightness controlled in HW" to apply to all Dell
> laptops, not just the D420. We have examined quite a few different
> Dell models, and so far they all show the same behaviour.
>
> This might be a bit gross, but it seems to fix many more cases than it
> breaks apparently.

And what about this file[1] which will override the hal-info anyway?
Besides, doesn't the existence of the dell backlight addon make it
software controlled?

Rui

[1] http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob;h=b5a3bff5a6420d0457b9750dedbaa046424e1af9;hb=534735f7844300fec22cfebcf515ca46c9b91879;f=fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-dell-laptop-brightness.fdi