10-modem.fdi

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Jun 1 06:17:51 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 00:06 +0200, Trond Husø wrote:

> > > Well at this point, the desktop application (nm-applet) depends on NM
> > > knowing about the device, which in turn depends on HAL knowing what
> > > device type (CDMA or GSM) the modem is.  I suppose we could have the
> > > applet (or something else) listen for insertion events, poke the modem,
> > > if it needs a PIN ask for it graphically, tell HAL to run the prober
> > > again, and then it would show up with the right capabilities and at
> > > least NM would be able to use it.  Or something like that.
> >
> > We can flag it as a mobile which requires a PIN without knowing what the
> > device type is, presumably?
> >
> It should also tell if the user has written the PIN to many times and
> therefor must use the PUK code.
>
> Also: I am not sure if NM is the correct application to control a mobile
> phone. On my win PC Dell (with Vodaphone) has a separate application to
> control the onboard 3g-card. With this application one can also send
> SMS-messages.

NM is certainly the right app to control a mobile broadband connection
that's used by the computer, but its not the right thing to control
other stuff like GPS or SMS or whatever.

We're looking at punting this whole problem out to a service that owns
the device, like VMC or whatever, so that this issue gets solved at a
lower lever properly.  But the same problem would exist there.

dan