10-modem.fdi

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Jun 1 06:22:27 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 19:55 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 01:37:14PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > Well at this point, the desktop application (nm-applet) depends on NM
> > knowing about the device, which in turn depends on HAL knowing what
> > device type (CDMA or GSM) the modem is.  I suppose we could have the
> > applet (or something else) listen for insertion events, poke the modem,
> > if it needs a PIN ask for it graphically, tell HAL to run the prober
> > again, and then it would show up with the right capabilities and at
> > least NM would be able to use it.  Or something like that.
>
> We can flag it as a mobile which requires a PIN without knowing what the
> device type is, presumably?

Should be able to do that, yes.  What would the stored PIN be keyed off
of though?  In some cases (USB cables) you only get the USB VID/PID of
the _cable_, not of the mobile.  So you can't necessarily tie a stored
PIN to specific device.  You also don't want to blindly try a stored PIN
too many times.

Maybe the best thing to do (for NM or whatever unlocks the device) is
store a PIN in userspace tied to a VID/PID, and try unlocking the device
with that stored PIN any time it's plugged in.  If the unlock fails, you
ask the user for the PIN irregardless of whether it's stored somewhere
or not.  If the card/phone ever wants the PUK, you _always_ ask for the
PUK since if you get that wrong, you pretty much brick the thing.

Dan