[hal-info patch] Add default video quirks

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Jun 24 23:16:41 PDT 2008

On Dienstag, 24. Juni 2008, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Dienstag, 24. Juni 2008, David Zeuthen wrote:

> > > No, IMO it's not usefull. As already annotated: these quirks are no
> > > common quirks. If you take a look at the existing quirks this
> > > combination is never or only in rare cases used. It make absolutely no
> > > sense to add them to hal-info.
> >
> > Sure, maybe some of the unquirked systems only need a subset of the ones
> > Matthew selected ... but that's fine as they will resume even if there's
> > unused quirks.
>
> What do you mean with unused quirks?

Not sure, but do you mean with unused quirks that may some of the default
quirks Matthew supposed don't get used? For what I've seen in the past this
is not true. A machine may only need vbe_post, but adding also
vbemode_restore can break the machine and a system that need none or other
quirks like e.g. s3bios/s3mode would get broken or would not work.

So please revert this change and do what Michael or me proposed: search for
common quirks for a vendor and use them but don't do this for all machines
out there.

Proposal (for example):
- IBM/Lenovo: s3_bios+s3_mode
- Asus:       s3_bios+s3_mode or vbe_post+vbemode_restore
- Dell:       vbe_post+vbemode_restore
- Acer:       s3_bios+s3_mode or vbe_post+vbemode_restore
- FSC:        s3_bios+s3_mode or vbe_post+vbemode_restore
- HP:         vbe_post+vbestate_restore
- Sony:       s3_bios+s3_mode or none
- Toshiba:    maybe s3_bios+s3_mode

Danny