[hal-info patch] Add default video quirks

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Jun 25 01:59:38 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:16:41AM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:

> Not sure, but do you mean with unused quirks that may some of the default
> quirks Matthew supposed don't get used? For what I've seen in the past this
> is not true. A machine may only need vbe_post, but adding also
> vbemode_restore can break the machine and a system that need none or other
> quirks like e.g. s3bios/s3mode would get broken or would not work.

You're aware that s3_mode is *identical* to vbemode_restore, just done
in the kernel rather than userspace, right? And the same for s3_bios and
vbe_post?

> Proposal (for example):
> - IBM/Lenovo: s3_bios+s3_mode
> - Asus:       s3_bios+s3_mode or vbe_post+vbemode_restore
> - Dell:       vbe_post+vbemode_restore
> - Acer:       s3_bios+s3_mode or vbe_post+vbemode_restore
> - FSC:        s3_bios+s3_mode or vbe_post+vbemode_restore
> - HP:         vbe_post+vbestate_restore
> - Sony:       s3_bios+s3_mode or none
> - Toshiba:    maybe s3_bios+s3_mode

This isn't meaningful. The system BIOS is a contributing factor here,
but the video BIOS is significantly more important in determining what
happens when we make these calls. While it's true that vbemode_restore
will break some number of machines (primarily Intels, due to the
restoration of 3D state interfering with the acceleration engine - and
that's basically irrelevant, given that Intel now handles its own state
restoration), but some larger number of machines needs it. Worst case?
Someone has to write their own list of quirks. Just like they currently
do.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org