[hal-info patch] Add default video quirks

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Wed Jun 25 04:51:17 PDT 2008

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:16:41AM +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
>
>> Not sure, but do you mean with unused quirks that may some of the default
>> quirks Matthew supposed don't get used? For what I've seen in the past this
>> is not true. A machine may only need vbe_post, but adding also
>> vbemode_restore can break the machine and a system that need none or other
>> quirks like e.g. s3bios/s3mode would get broken or would not work.
>
> You're aware that s3_mode is *identical* to vbemode_restore, just done
> in the kernel rather than userspace, right? And the same for s3_bios and
> vbe_post?

Yes. But for some reasons, some machines only work with s3_bios/s3_mode while
others work only with vbe_post/vbe_mode.

And then, the s3_bios/s3_mode, if available, is usually much faster and much
more reliable (you cannot switch to the X-Server while the kernel is POSTing
the BIOS, but you can while vbetool does).
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)