tablet PC support

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Mar 6 10:02:44 PST 2008

On Mittwoch, 5. März 2008, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> Attached the latest version of the patch.

btw. some comments from me about the comment #3 in the bug [1]:

> Seconded!
> From looking at the patch that would also have the very positive effect to
> make the wacom work withouth having to install the wacom tools package so a
> default installation would have a working tablet.
> Also one wouldn't need the setserial package anymore.

Thats not correct. My patch don't make wacom working without the wacom
packages. You need them for X furthermore. There is no way around the wacom
packages on the Wacom devices/Tablets. And you also need setserial to setup
the ttyS* devices correctly. The only thing you can do now is e.g.:

* identify TabletPCs
* setup the (correct) ttyS* device automatically
* on system.formfactor.subtype=tabletPC depending actions:
  - identify TabletPCs
  - show a virtual Keybord
  - install packages dependig on this info (SUSE do this already)
  - ...

Danny

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/90451/comments/3