hal vs acpid

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Thu Mar 27 20:47:31 PDT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Danny Kukawka wrote:

> > > If you need to be on the console or just don't want to pull in
> > > gnome-power-manager or kpowersave, then you can try using ivman to
> > > listen for HAL events.
> > >
> > > http://ivman.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > It seems like it should be able to do what you're after.
> >
> > Thanks I will look at it.  I spend about 50% of my time at the command
> > prompt and 50% inside KDE.
>
> If you already use KPowersave, then I would propose you use also powersaved,
> which take automatically care about powermanagement if there is no KPowersave
> (as e.g. if the user isn't logged in or if there is no desktop running)
> instance running or if the user session get inactive.
>
> AFAIK powersave should also handle the power button in such cases.

I was under impression that (development of) powersave was dropped in favour
of kpowersave. Am I wrong?

How does powersaved knows that additional manager is started? What if user
starts g-p-m and not kpowersave - will it compete with powersaved for the
same events?

Or user starts ivman for that matter ...