hal vs acpid

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Mar 28 05:49:46 PDT 2008

On Freitag, 28. März 2008, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > If you already use KPowersave, then I would propose you use also
> > powersaved, which take automatically care about powermanagement if there
> > is no KPowersave (as e.g. if the user isn't logged in or if there is no
> > desktop running) instance running or if the user session get inactive.
> >
> > AFAIK powersave should also handle the power button in such cases.
>
> I was under impression that (development of) powersave was dropped in
> favour of kpowersave. Am I wrong?

You are wrong. KPowersave no longer depends on or use powersaved, but
powersaved wasn't dropped. It's used to handle powermanagement in the
described cases.

> How does powersaved knows that additional manager is started?

In case of KPowersave (and AFAIK on SUSE also in case of g-p-m): powersaved
hold the  org.freedesktop.Policy.Power name on D-Bus and if KPowersave starts
it call dbus_bus_request_name() to get the name. Then powersaved release/lose
the name and stop all powermanagement handling in this case. If KPowersave is
in a inactive desktop session or if KPowersave exit/ends it release the name
and powersaved get the name back and starts handle powermanagement again.

> What if user
> starts g-p-m and not kpowersave - will it compete with powersaved for the
> same events?

On SUSE: no competition, not sure if with upstream g-p-m.

Danny