Update on DeviceKit

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Wed May 7 08:03:30 PDT 2008

On Wed, 07.05.08 13:47, Holger Macht (hmacht at suse.de) wrote:

> Yes, I think of it like following:
>
> Having a subsystem daemon for power management incuding:
>
>  org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.*
> 				.PowerSupply
> 				.CPUFreq
> 				.Backlight

I think it would be best if backlight control is left to X. For some
graphics cards its already properly exported in XRANDR. XRANDR knows
about multiple screens, hotplug and stuff, is network transparent and
so on. It's also much easier for normal desktop apps like cheese to
use the backlight as a flash if its exported via XRANDR.

For those devices where backlight control cannot be done via the
graphics hardware the kernel interfaces should be hooked up to X. And
there are already many cases were brightness can be controlled via the
gfx hw (i.e. X) but not via the kernel interfaces.

(Oh, and I'd love to see someone taking
http://ddccontrol.sourceforge.net/ and making a module for X of it, so
that we could control the backlight of external LCD screens via XRANDR
too ;-))

Backlight control via HAL should be phased out, together with HAL itself.

Lennart