Update on DeviceKit

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed May 7 08:37:21 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
>  For the past 2-3 months, on and off (because stuff like RHEL and Fedora,
>  other open source commitments and RL never stops), I've actually managed
>  to find some time to sit down and prototype some ideas. The main idea is
>  to try and stop pretending we're an abstraction layer. We never was and
>  we never will be (the kernel and X11 is doing that just fine) [1].

I see common namespacing as a layer good enough for most uses. Using
raw udev data might make it pretty hard to find devices basing on
their capabilities. Or am I wrong and udev now does a ton more than
the last time I checked?

>  [1] : I still blame Havoc for the name HAL.

I actually like the name more than all the *Kits.

Obvious joke comes to mind:
# rpm -e hal
error: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution