Update on DeviceKit

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 7 08:59:10 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 17:37 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> >  For the past 2-3 months, on and off (because stuff like RHEL and Fedora,
> >  other open source commitments and RL never stops), I've actually managed
> >  to find some time to sit down and prototype some ideas. The main idea is
> >  to try and stop pretending we're an abstraction layer. We never was and
> >  we never will be (the kernel and X11 is doing that just fine) [1].
>
> I see common namespacing as a layer good enough for most uses. Using
> raw udev data might make it pretty hard to find devices basing on
> their capabilities. Or am I wrong and udev now does a ton more than
> the last time I checked?

The idea is to have something similar to HAL's fdi files in DeviceKit to
classify devices, e.g. "this is a mp3 player" etc. Then on Linux that
will probably be translated to udev rules (via something similar to
desktop-file-install(1)), on FreeBSD and Solaris something else.

The point is that one can include a device information file and have
properties merged on devices that match this file. Just like HAL.

       David

> # rpm -e hal
> error: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Hah, that's pretty funny. It'll take some time before that is possible,
yeah, but with things being parallel installable it should hopefully be
a smooth transition.

       David