Update on DeviceKit

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 7 09:39:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 18:27 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > And IIRC I have seen several cases where it didn't work via XBACKLIGHT, but
> > via HAL (e.g. Dell machines).

So someone just needs to teach X about using libsmbios on Dell machines.
Just like it's using /sys/class/backlight on Linux. I don't think the X
people are opposed to this; certainly ajax didn't seemed opposed to this
last time I checked.

> Yepp, but as soon as HAL is dead it won't work via either. So instead of
> hooking up everything to a new fancy backlight control daemon you could
> just hook it up to X where a lot of work has already been done in this
> area, where an API is established and where some other people do the
> maintaining for you.

Yes, I really think X should be doing this. X is _the_ device driver for
UNIX graphics; I don't think it's useful to try and replace it. Plus, X
knows about multiple displays etc. etc.

> > > Backlight control via HAL should be phased out, together with HAL itself.
> >
> > Would like to see backlight control in DeviceKit.
>
> As I understood David this is not going to happen. The question is
> whether backlight control should be done in X or in some D-Bus
> server. Sticking it directly into DeviceKit is not the idea. Am I
> right, David?

Yes. I think this needs to be done in X.

      David