Update on DeviceKit

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Wed May 7 10:18:12 PDT 2008

On Wed, 07.05.08 12:39, David Zeuthen (david at fubar.dk) wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 18:27 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > > And IIRC I have seen several cases where it didn't work via XBACKLIGHT, but
> > > via HAL (e.g. Dell machines).
>
> So someone just needs to teach X about using libsmbios on Dell machines.
> Just like it's using /sys/class/backlight on Linux. I don't think the X
> people are opposed to this; certainly ajax didn't seemed opposed to this
> last time I checked.

The other option would be to move the backlight foo from libsmbios
into the kernel. The kernel does some smbios foo anyway, i figure that
making use of that for backlight wouldn't be too complex. I mean,
backlight control is not exactly rocket science.

But i guess it doesn't matter how this is eventually hooked up. It's
just someone needs to do it it.

Lennart