Update on DeviceKit

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 12:29:55 PDT 2008

Hi,

> write a small desktop session daemon. It would export an interface
> org.fd.ScannerButtons.Listener with a simple interface to inhibit
> listening for button events.

That's exactly org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Scanner iface. See HAL
scanner. Did you review hal-scanner ?
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-March/011175.html I ship
a tiny documentation in PDF.

> For proper multi-user support, I'd listen to ConsoleKit signals
> in the daemon to stop hogging the device when the session is inactive.

Very interesting, thanks.

Another issue : is it possible to launch the session wide service only
if at least one scanner is up ?

> you can use things like gconf to retrieve settings about what programs
> to launch when buttons are pressed etc.

Well, gnome-volume-manager already handle scanner hotplug using HAL, but
not for scanner signal.

> You'd do the callouts via OS-specific interfaces.

Ah. This mean that firmware loading won't be done by HAL anymore ? Sad,
i built isight-firmware load using HAL callout in order to be more
portable (accross distro, but also accross *NIX).

Regards,
Étienne.