Update on DeviceKit

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu May 8 13:58:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:41:40PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

> That's a bogus argument. I personally e.g. use the powersave governor
> quite often.
> When I'm on battery

You're reducing your battery life. Don't do that.

> when I don't want the fan to make noise etc.

Now this is a more interesting issue. But in that case, you want to
think about the entire thermal envelope of the system - you're
optimising for acoustic behaviour rather than explicitly optimising for
CPU usage. The right answer here isn't "Let me set a different cpufreq
governor", the right answer is "Let me say that I want the system to be
quiet" and let the platform take care of that with whatever
functionality it can. Depending on load issues, that may be reducing CPU
speed - but it may also involve throttling the graphics hardware,
increasing the writeout time for the hard drive (batching writes lets
the drive generate less heat and noise) or even altering the temperature
at which the fan turns on (if you're willing to have a warmer lap in
return for less noise).

> There are a lot of use cases.

Yes. They're all wrong.

> And that kpowersave gives me a simply right click option is really handy.
> I'd hate to lose that feature.

Look, this feature really is a "Work/don't work" switch. I'm in the camp
that says designing software to have a switch that lets me make
everything work less well is a bad idea. Others disagree. Beats me why
most dudes suck. Sure as hell ain't my scene[1].

[1] http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12112007
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org