automount ntfs volumes (was ntfs volume and locale= option)

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Fri Oct 24 08:34:01 PDT 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:14:38 +0200
Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:

> On Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008, Robby Workman wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:54:23 +0200
> >
> > Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
> > > On Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Any comments on my proposal (see
> > > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012358.html)?
> > > If there are no comments, I go to commit the changes to the spec.
> >
> > Forward looking, that sounds reasonable (I think).
> > Am I correct in thinking that this doesn't really help us at all in
> > the short term though?  That is, kde-3.5.x, xfce-4.4.x (and soon to
> > be released 4.6.0) will still have the same problems?
>
> I guess you are right, since it need the desktops/tools to get
> adopted. Until then you need another fdi-file which overwrites the
> fs-type and set the allowed mount options for ntfs-3g. While this is
> wrong in general it should be very generic (it should run with the
> most of the latest HAL releases).

That's not a huge problem.   For the time being, we can keep doing what
we've already been having to do, and at some point once all the desktop
environments have made the switch, ntfs-3g can ship its own fdi file
that "just works."

Once the commit has been made on your end, please be sure to post a
note here, and I'll take responsibility for making sure notification
gets to the kde and xfce folks.  Someone else will have to handle the
gnome folks - I don't have any contacts with that project.

-RW