automount ntfs volumes

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Wed Oct 29 07:24:23 PDT 2008

Ambroz Bizjak <ambro <at> b4ever.net> writes:

> Because it's simpler. Without it, if a distribution would want to make ntfs-3g
> the default, it would have to configure it for every desktop environment.
> We really do not want to make it that hard for distributors, or they will
> continue to resort to hacks like forcefully changing the fstype.
>
> And yes, there probably will be no more than one alternative driver, but
> still, you made "volume.fstype.alternative" a string list.

There are many NTFS drivers in use today. The most popular ones:

 - Captive NTFS (captive-ntfs)
 - Paragon NTFS (ufsd, commercial)
 - kernel NTFS driver (ntfs)
 - ntfsmount (ntfs-fuse)
 - NTFS-3G (ntfs-3g)

However many distibutions map ntfs-3g to be used for the 'ntfs' and
'ntfs-fuse' file system types as well.

Regards,  Szaka