Remapping keys

Peter Dey hal at realmtech.net
Sun Jun 14 01:43:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

Are there any tools for tracing keypresses as they pass into hal, and out to
evdev?

I've been playing around with adding key maps in input.keymap.data, but I can't
figure out what should go on the left-hand-side of the colon.

Running `input-events 5` shows that the keypresses are being picked up by the
kernel.  Taking the "Channel down" key, for example, I've tried adding

    <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x193:pagedown</append>

(0x193 is from linux/input.h; since input-events is reporting that "EV_KEY
KEY_CHANNELDOWN pressed").

No luck.  The keymap shows in lshal, but I'm not getting any pagedown events in
xev.

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Peter