Remapping keys

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 14 13:56:46 PDT 2009

Hello Peter,

Peter Dey [2009-06-14 18:43 +1000]:
> Running `input-events 5` shows that the keypresses are being picked up by the
> kernel.  Taking the "Channel down" key, for example, I've tried adding
>
>     <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x193:pagedown</append>
>
> (0x193 is from linux/input.h; since input-events is reporting that "EV_KEY
> KEY_CHANNELDOWN pressed").

The left-hand side of the colon is the scan code. 0x193 is the key
code of KEY_CHANNELDOWN, so looking in input.h won't help you. You can
use e. g. "showkey -s" to get the scan code.

Please note that keymaps have moved to udev-extras now, which also
brings a more convenient tool for debugging/fixing keymaps. See

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev-extras.git;a=blob;f=keymap/README.keymap.txt;h=988f7421857a9314dbf6e20417790b935b740987;hb=HEAD

Thanks,

Martin