[HarfBuzz] QUnicodeTables (hooking up with Qt4)

Neil Mayhew neil_mayhew at sil.org
Mon Dec 21 14:22:09 PST 2009

It looks to me as if harfbuzz-qt.cpp is currently broken in Harfbuzz.
The include file Qt/private/qunicodetables_p.h is present in Qt3 but not
in Qt4, and configure.ac requires Qt >= 4.3.

I'm using Debian squeeze and I have every relevant qt4 package installed
but it still wouldn't compile for me. I checked the file lists of the
qt4 rpms from Fedora 11 too, since I know Behdad works for Red Hat, but
I don't see that include file there either. It looks like it has been
removed from the public API in Qt4. The file is still there in the
source tree
<http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/master/src/corelib/tools/qunicodetables_p.h>
but it has the following comment:

//
//  W A R N I N G
//  -------------
//
// This file is not part of the Qt API.  It exists for the convenience
// of internal files.  This header file may change from version to version
// without notice, or even be removed.
//
// We mean it.
//

harfbuzz-qt.cpp is obviously violating that warning :-)

I therefore decided to cheat and download just that header file and see
what happened:

mkdir -p src/Qt/private
wget -O src/Qt/private/qunicodetables_p.h http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/raw/master/src/corelib/tools/qunicodetables_p.h

Now I can make check without errors. When I run the test programs, some
of the tests pass, but not all.

Would anyone else care to comment on this?

--Neil