[HarfBuzz] QUnicodeTables (hooking up with Qt4)

hasen j hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:47:02 PST 2009

2009/12/21 Neil Mayhew <neil_mayhew at sil.org>

> It looks to me as if harfbuzz-qt.cpp is currently broken in Harfbuzz.
> The include file Qt/private/qunicodetables_p.h is present in Qt3 but not
> in Qt4, and configure.ac requires Qt >= 4.3.

That's what I thought as well, but tests/README explicitly says Qt4, so I
got confused.

> It looks like it has been
> removed from the public API in Qt4. The file is still there in the
> source tree
> <
> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/blobs/master/src/corelib/tools/qunicodetables_p.h
> >
> but it has the following comment:
>
> //
> //  W A R N I N G
> //  -------------
> //
> // This file is not part of the Qt API.  It exists for the convenience
> // of internal files.  This header file may change from version to version
> // without notice, or even be removed.
> //
> // We mean it.
> //
>
> harfbuzz-qt.cpp is obviously violating that warning :-)

So it's all for the better I suppose.

I really only wanted the unicode table because I thought it's the only way
to get the script of a character without relying on glib, i.e.
shaper_item->script_item.script, because according to what I see, that's the
value that's used to choose the shaping engine.

But, I see contrib/tables/README has instructions for generating
"script-properties.h" (and other files) which can be used for the same
purpose. So it's all good, for now at least.