[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz version

Chris Scaife scaife.chris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:36:13 PST 2010

Thanks for that reply :)
I did indeed look at using Cairo/Pango but I was really struggling with
them. A lot of this was due to the integral Unicode bidi algorithm that
makes it nearly impossible for me to know where any particular character is
being placed.

Thus at the low level I want to do a much simpler bidi algorithm with an
expicit LRE/RLE for every direction change. Indeed I recently did drop down
to Xft but now having a hard time using it with Gtk and still unable to
understand how the font is selected e.g. you can see images of the problem
plotting Chinese and Arabic
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10031999#post10031999>in my R2L
thread here.

I suppose the main thing is that it's all good learning experience and
perhaps when I actually know enough I'll be able to make a genuine
contribution on the vte widget :) When I got the source code for it a while
back I got hopelessly lost :(