[HarfBuzz] (noob?) Building HB

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 00:05:59 PDT 2011

Sorry for this query which is probably highly "noob"-y, but I
encountered a problem in building HB (for the first time).

Pravin Satpute advised me on the following:

1) git clone http://cgit.freedesktop.org/harfbuzz/
2) compile it
3) use hb-view for testing

but for some reason I had to replace http:// by git:// and anyhow I now
have the source tree.

I don't know how to compile it in place without messing up the contents
of the source tree so I just did a plain vanilla cp -R of the harfbuzz
directory to elsewhere and did ./autogen.sh (which is the only
executable in the root). It told me to install autoreconf so I did
apt-get install autoconf. It then threw an error <<Can't exec
"libtoolize">> so I did apt-get install libtool. The following is the
error I now get and don't know to get past (so please help):

$ ./autogen.sh
configure.ac:2: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=harfbuzz
configure.ac:2: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=harfbuzz
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./config.guess'
libtoolize: copying file `./config.sub'
libtoolize: copying file `./install-sh'
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros
in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
configure.ac:2: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=harfbuzz
configure.ac:2: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=harfbuzz
configure.ac:32: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
       See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:106: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_PROG
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
$

--
Shriramana Sharma